Saturday, April 28, 2012

ANZAC DAY 2012 - Lest We Forget


Map


As a young country, ( historically)  we have very few traditions that we can truly call our own, in fact very few traditions at all. But 25 April is one of them that is sacred to the hearts of Australians. NO matter your age, and the endless diminishment of the veterans, the crowds continue to grow as the younger community minded members take over the important role of burning the eternal flame of rememberance. The supreme sacrifice that soldiers of Australia and New Zealand made in fighting wars that in the majority where not their own.
The playing of the Last Post always brings up many emotions and tears.....along with this poem and The Ode....


Poem - Sir


Sir - Would it help if I shed a tear
I swear it's the first time since this time last year
My spine is a tingle - my throat is all dry
As I stand to attention for all those who died


I watch the flag dancing half way down the pole
That damn bugle player sends chills to my soul
I fell the pride and the sorrow - there's nothing the same
As standing to attention on ANZAC day

So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free
Will you take a message when you finally do leave
To your mates that are lying from Tobruk to the Somme
 The legend of your bravery will always live on


Anzac day memorial park - Nundah
I've welcomed Olympians back to our shore
I've cheered baggy green caps and watched Wallabies score
But when I watch you marching (Sir) in that parade
I know these are the memories that never will fade



So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free
Will you take a message when you finally do leave
It's the least we can do  (sir) to repay the debt

We'll always remember you - Lest we Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment