Thursday, April 21, 2011

And the winner is....

http://imbinitchy.blogspot.com/2007/11/tomato-basil-mussels-with-linguine.html

How do you like your mussels served ? Or do you fancy mussels at all ? Which variety mussels are your absolute favourite ? Did you cook them yourself or had them somewhere fancy ? Share, share ... do share them with me as I'm an absolute mussel fan.

Without a doubt, I would order a portion of them whenever I spot them. Be it served chilled, soup based, as an appetiser, cooked along with main dish or anything else in between - it had not once escaped me wherever I went.

A good mussel, is tender, springy and had a mild sea taste. Apart from New Zealand Green Mussels, which I get my supply here easily, the one that impress me most are Baby Mussels from St Michel, Normandy which I was fortunate to sample in the fame Le Pain Grille Cafe, Hongkong. Though small, it packs a punch of taste that is creamy, delicate, had the fresh from the sea taste and at the same time, slightly sweet.

Here's some interesting fact with regards to the colour of mussels.

Why do some mussels have orange meat and others have white meat? The orange-tinted meats are actually mature females, while the ivory meats are males and immature females. While some aficionados maintain that mature females taste better, there's no scientific evidence to back this up. Personally, I'm a fan of orange tinted meat too, as it is creamier and packs more taste.

I craved mussels again today so this was what I had for lunch today.

Here's the recipe.

~ 8 pcs New Zealand mussels
~ 5 clove garlic
~ 1/2 chopped onion
~ 1 portion linguine
~ 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
~ 1/2 can tomato pulp
~ 2 tbsp tomato puree
~ Handful of basil leaves
~ Salt & pepper, to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment