Monday, March 28, 2011

Fashion Skirt in less than 30 mins

With a small piece of elastic, a Recycled skirt can be made in less than half an hour.... I took an old wrap around skirt... ( completely out of fashion now) and a baby dress size 1 and made a fashionable one size fits all skirt for the 2011 girl. Suitable for ages 8 to 28 will be suitable I think.

1. cut a long rectangle of fabric to the desired length In my case it was 180cm long. ( 2 pieces front and back at 90 cm wide,  if you like) But as I like to be different and lazy, I and had the fabricI used one long piece. Less hems to come apart later.
2. Cut a length of 20 cm wide black elastic 60 cm long. Join at the ends with a solid stitch. I overlapped them as I wanted less bulk at the side.
3. Using a long stitch length, run around the top of the fabric. Then pull the ends to gather it in. 
4.Divide this edge into quarters and mark with pins. Do the same with the elastic. Them match corresponding pins to each other so that the bottom edge of the elastic is pinned to the right side at the top.... Make sure it is sewn to the right side, otherwise the elastic will try to flip over and not sit flat when wearing it. See picture below.
5.Pin between marker pins adjusting the tension and gathering evenly. 
6. Sew a strong triple stitch around the bottom of the elastic where it was pinned to the skirt edge. 
7. Hem other edges.... I did not have to do this as I cut the edge from teh bottom of an existing dress and skirt....
8. Voila... skirt in less than 20 mins....




 The Prototype...

Cost: Electricity for the machine, 20 minutes of my time, 80 australian cents for the new elastic...

Benefit: Fashionable skirt that will fit a primary student/teen/twenty something...

Satisfaction: Clearing some fabric from my scrap basket!!

What other kinds of fashionable clothes lay hidden in my bundle of unwanted clothes... something to ponder about...










No comments:

Post a Comment