How do you turn some unwanted leftovers into a delicious meal and save yourself time, energy and food.Turn out a scrumptious meal in a little over half an hour.
Roast Vegetable FrittataPre Heat Oven to 190 degrees Celsius or 375 degrees Fahrenheit
What you need:
A quantity of Roast vegetables
I use Sweet potato or kumara, onion, potato, pumpkin, zucchini, choko, red capsicum, carrot or just about anything. (It is great to have a variety of green, orange white and red if you can.) I usually make up a large batch and if they are all eaten, fine. And if not: I have a delicious meal almost ready to eat the following night.
[Optional extras: Broccoli florets, mushrooms and 1 small can of corn kernels]
1/2 - 3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup milk
1 cup of tasty cheese
1. Chop leftover veges roughly into 1 inch cubes and arrange in ovenproof dish so that they are evenly dispersed. Nothing worse than having all carrot in one portion and all choko in another! You can also add some broccoli, mushroom and a little tin of corn kernels as optional extras.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the veges.
3. Top with a your choice of tasty or flavoured cheese. I used basil and pesto Mersey valley cheese. ( you will probably only find this brand in Australia)
4. Cook in moderate oven for a little over 20 minutes till cooked.
If you also have leftover chicken, then you can make a complete meal as follows while the Frittata is cooking:
Chicken Vol au Vents ( using leftover cooked chicken)
Pre Heat Oven to 190 degrees Celsius or 375 degrees Fahrenheit
3 sliced mushrooms
1 diced onion
Quantity of shredded cooked chicken (leftovers) Approximately 1 - 2 cups
4 Vol au Vent pastries ( round pastry cases that have been pre cooked - readily available in supermarket)
Parsley or herbs as desired.
1. Saute onion in a little olive oil on medium heat in a frying pan til transparent.
2. Add sliced mushrooms and shredded chicken (leftover)
3. Place Vol au Vent pastries in moderate oven to warm
4. Add 1 cup of sour cream, and 1/2 cup milk to pan and stir through, slowly increasing the heat til sauce is thickened.
5. Place mix in warmed Vol au Vent cases and serve with portions of the above frittata.
A complete and easily prepared meal supplying Protein, fibre, vitamins and delcious taste, all under 45 minutes. We all eat and most of us work, so quick well balanced meals are something we need to ponder about.