Sunday, June 24, 2012

Quick Beef Stroganoff - with Rice


A busy life with a family means hearty, nutritious meals that can be made in minutes. ( or half and hour: tops)  This is a variation of a Veal Goulash recipe I had that takes much longer to cook and uses stewing veal or beef as opposed to leaner, finer cuts.
Just why is something that I ponder about, but I do notice many young people are lacking this instinctive knack of creating a meal with whatever is in the fridge, so I have posted this recipe or "throw – together," as I prefer to think of it, for their benefit. Established cooks most likely will have this or a variation of this in their repertoire.

INGREDIENTS:
1 onion, 2 stalks celery, a quantity of beef /bbq beef/ beef schnitzel or similar cut, enough to feed the required amount of people, sour cream, tomato paste, handful- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms, 1 cup chicken or beef stock ( or 1 cup water and 1 chicken/beef stock cube)

Method:
1. Cut beef along the grain and cook on moderate to high heat, quickly, almost till done. Remove and keep warm.
saute onion and celery
2.  Saute some finely chopped onion and celery in a dash of olive oil till onion is transparent.
3. Add mushrooms,  and cook briefly, for several minutes.
4.  Add 3 tbspns of tomato paste ( or whatever quantity the sachet comes in) and 1 cup Chicken or beef stock and cook for about 5 minutes or till sauce has thickened.
5.  Return cooked beef to pan and stir through 1/2 cup sour cream. ( Substitutes for sour cream could be whipping/pouring cream, evaporated milk, full cream milk ( sauce may be more runny)
6. Serve with nutty /white rice ( see recipe on next post)
Recipes for preparing Brown and White rice: Just what is the difference?

This dish is also nice with crusty baguettes/ breads.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. hmhmhmhmmm easy recipes....I will try this at my home...I like beef yuummmmmyyy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you liked the recipe. I intend posting some more soon... Let me know how it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete