Thursday, April 8, 2010

Norwegian Crochet - Hakking



Norwegian crochet - Hakking
In Norway, there is a special type of crochet called Hakking. It has nothing to do with computers and is pronounced as in the english word "Hark" and add "-ing"!

I would not consider myself an experienced knitter and my knitting tension as a child was awful, yet I took to this wool handwork instantly. I love it.

I have to thank my dear friend Mia, not only for her patience but for starting me on a Hakking adventure, which seems to be limitless.


If you feel knitting takes too long and is too fiddly, but you want to create something with wool, then Hakking is for you!

You can make a scarf with a basic stitch (using grund technic) in less than an hour! I promise you.

Hakking goes by a variety of names: Tunisian crochet, Afghan stitch, and one might use a double ended hook sometimes called a cro-hook.

My first Hakking projects were a
Scarf in acrylic, sampler with stocking type stitch, and pulse warmer, which is made using Hakking in the round. For this you must have a double pointed crochet hook or needle. Example of hook is pictured.



I will show you a few of my projects here and later put a video on doing the basic stitches.

Good luck, I hope you find it as rewarding as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment